Thursday 12 August 2010

Precious gems and metal from Sierra Leone...

I went to the Natural History Museum and saw this beauty from Sierra Leone.  The Star of Sierra Leone diamond was found in Kono (next to Kenema) the main diamond mining area of Sierra Leone its reported to have the largest concentration of diamond mines in the world, yet the country is one of the worlds poorest.





The 968.9-carat Star of Sierra Leone diamond was discovered on February 14, 1972 in the Diminco alluvial mines in the Koidu area of Sierra Leone. It ranks as the third-largest gem-quality diamond and the largest alluvial diamond ever discovered (taken from Wikipedia)

I also found some Platinum from Sierra Leone, someone please tell my why Africa is in such an economic mess with such an abundance of natural resources including precious stones and metal?  Yes I know the answer and will not go too deep but I will cover this topic during another blog entry!



0 comments:

Post a Comment